Wednesday, April 28, 2010

WE INTERRUPT OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM...


Today the brass at Harrah's fired me because of this blog and my criticism of the company.

Then they unfired me because they'd rather threaten to fire me in the event that I continue with this blog. It was all very confusing and involved a piece of paper that explained what corporate Freemasonry I was breaching and what I needed to do to cleanse myself and avoid being fired. Which apparently has not happened, after all. Yet.

I refused to sign the piece of paper. What fool would? By doing so, and agreeing to go through internal channels with any "grievances" about Harrah's, I'd be admitting that I'm fool enough to believe that the corporation will police itself in things like, oh, treating its employees fairly.

Now, I'm not sure if I've got it all straight, but it's entirely possible that by writing what I have here, rather than signing the solemn piece of paper, I will be fired tomorrow.

In my mind, this could be a bit like trying to put out the fire with gasoline, for Harrah's. Go ahead, give me better fuel to publicize this thing! My previous career in the media might come in handy too.

For the record: I have no intention of being censored by my place of work even if we employees all agreed to love and abide by the sacred Employee Handbook so that we could pay rent and eat. If corporations are allowed to shut us up and act however they want, then we deserve the dim future we get.

Incidentally, my family back home is behind me 100%. This is because they taught me to have some sense of morality and the courage of my convictions. If my father could get shot up defending his beliefs, I think I can take what these cowards can dish out. I owe my Dad that much at least. I may end up temporarily unemployed but I will still have my integrity. That will take me a lot farther than a few bucks here and there.

As for the corporate honchos and their underlings who tried to reel me in: Shame on you! Where is your sense of decency? One day you may feel the need to speak up in the face of "authority" because somebody you care about is being hurt.

When that time comes, will you sign away that right?

Take care,
Adrian Zupp

No comments:

Post a Comment