Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christians and the promises of God

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it”. Isaiah 55:10,11


A Christian life is to be practised not only in the church but also outside and His word guides the believers in the way they should live in this world. In God's word we also find promises concerning our lives, whether we are in times of trouble, facing temptations, in tribulations, overcoming, in distress even about our salvation.

The bible verse above shows that God is committed and promised to bless His people according to every word or command that He has sent to His children. The bible also shows that God only commands that His children fully obey His commands. If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth”. Deuteronomy 28:1

God came into the world in His humanly form, for this reason He knew the troubles and challenges that people would face in this world. The bible gives us knowledge about His word and His promises. It is life to those who believe and accept Him as Lord and Saviour.

 Some of the promises of God:
  • He promised eternal life. “And this is what he promised us eternal life”. I John 2:25
  • Blessed is the man who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”
James 1:12
  • He promised healing. “And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven”. James 5:15 “But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the LORD,”Jeremiah 30:17
  • He promised to bless us wherever we go. Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses.” Joshua 1:3
  • He promised us protection and to be always with us. “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.” Isaiah 43:2
  • We are promised that our sins will be buried.You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea”. Micah 7:19
  • He promised the fruits of the Holy Spirit. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control”. Galatians 5:22-23
  • He promised forgiveness. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness”. 1 John 1:19
  • We are promised the Holy Spirit. If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:13
  • He promised to come again. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am”. John 14:2-3
  • He promised to give us the desires of our hearts. “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
  • He promised to help us. “For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you.'” Isaiah 41:13
  • He is coming. “Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.” Revelation 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment