Saturday, February 26, 2011

WHO ARE ALL THESE "HATERS"? (AND THE LOST ART OF LIVING IN THE MOMENT)

"Tweeting" has made egomania a global epidemic. Or, as comedian Lewis Black put it: "If you're Tweeting about what you're doing, you aren't f***ing doing it!"

I'm sadly intrigued.

I quite often read or hear the word "haters" from young people. As in: "I don't care about the haters, I'm going to be me" or "All you haters can go to hell."

Who is it doing all this hating? Methinks they be mostly phantoms. While I grasp that hyperbole is in play, I still sense that something is awry. Is the collective psyche of today's youth so permeated with narcissism and paranoia that they really believe that everyone not only cares about their every move, but is "hating" on them?

Has advertising, reality TV, social media (where everybody is a star!), texting and tweeting and documenting their every move (groan), along with a mass-consumption mentality, really delivered a great many young people to this point? I never thought I'd say this but... get over yourselves! And if you're a narcissistic, Internet legend-in-your-own-mind who isn't so young, same thing.

I mean, take these folks who have 30,000 pictures of themselves jammed on Facebook. As far as I'm concerned, they've painted a huge target on their chests with the words "Guess who I love" painted on the bull's-eye. So expect people to take aim at you. You've earned it.

On the other hand, if you are someone who takes aim at people because they dare to be different or actually get off their butts and do things, well, back the hell off.

Whichever side of the fence you're on with this "hating" fetish, just take note: Life's short, ego is boring, and we're running dry on humility around here.

So take an ego check, grab an oar, and help us paddle this boat out of the mess we're in.

And bless yez all!
Adrian

IF YOU FOUND THIS POST INTERESTING you might like to take a look at THE DEATH OF PRIVACY.

No comments:

Post a Comment