Friday, July 29, 2011

FRIENDS



I've been reminded of the importance of friends.

Those who support and sustain us when things are tough, and are there to enjoy the good times as well.

I have some very good friends and meeting up with one of them last night was a very significant moment for me. She's a singer in one of Las Vegas' biggest shows, but she waves that off as incidental. She loves singing but celebrity and all-that-glitters isn't what she's about.

And we listened to each others' stories, catching up on our triumphs, trials and tribulations since we'd last sat down together a couple of years back. Far too long!

She is sincere, caring, self-effacing and decent to a fault. What impressed me above all else was her genuine joy for others in their good fortune. Everything wasn't about her, which, in Las Vegas (and much of the world), is something of a novelty.

And the fact that she could really see something in this humble blog and what I am trying to do was an incredible injection of fuel for me -- more than she could guess. I'm very grateful for that; and even more grateful for her friendship. And we have determined that we will see each other more often.

I have some other friends who are struggling right now. With relationships, their sense of identity, unemployment, and even crisis situations. I've been thinking about them too. Wonderful people all.

And my mates that I grew up with. Who would I be if not for the shared adventures I had with them?

The more I think, the more friends I recall. I'm rich with friends! Keep the money and sexy cars and big houses, give me friends and family, the desire to help others and the optimism to sustain that desire. That'll do me.

I know many of my friends read this blog, so thank you. You are there for me; and I am there for you.

If I might wax poetic for a moment, it occurred to me that, if we put our fears and self-interest to one side for a moment, strangers are often just friends we haven't made yet. That seems like a very important idea somehow.

And if we're to get this world back on track, we'll need all the friends we can get. And those friends we haven't made yet, particularly the ones who are hungry or suffering or lonely or ill, they need us.

Don't doubt for a second that we can change the world. We can do it. One friend at a time.

Take care and keep smiling,
Adrian

IF YOU FOUND THIS BLOG POST INTERESTING you might like to take a look at CHARACTER IS DESTINY.

No comments:

Post a Comment