Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Marriage

That night, as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said: "I have something important to tell." She sat down and had dinner without saying a word. I could see pain in her eyes.

Suddenly, I was speechless. However, I had to tell her what she was thinking. I wanted a divorce. And I discussed the matter calmly.

She did not seem annoyed by my words and simply asked in a low voice: "Why?" 

I avoided answering it, which made her very angry. She threw away the silverware and shouted "you're not a man!" That night, we did not talk more. I could hear her crying. I knew she wanted a reason for the end of our marriage. But I did not have a satisfactory answer to this question. My heart no longer belonged to her but Jane. I simply no longer loved her, I felt sorry for her. 
Feeling very guilty, sketched a divorce agreement, leaving her the house, our car and 30% of the shares in my company. 

She took the paper from my hand and tore violently. The woman with whom I lived for the past 10 years has become a stranger to me. I was sorry for this waste of time and energy, but I would not go back to what she said because I loved Jane deeply. Finally she began to cry out loud in front of me, which was expected. I felt liberated as she cried. My obsession for divorce in recent weeks finally materialized and the end was near now. 

The next day I got home late and found her sitting at the table writing. I have not had dinner, went straight to bed and slept immediately because I was tired after spending the day with Jane.
When I woke in the night, she was still sitting at the table, writing. I ignored it and went back to sleep.

The next morning, she introduced me to these conditions: she did not want anything of mine, but asked for a month's time to grant the divorce. She asked that during the next 30 days we tried to live together more naturally as possible. Her reasons were simple: our sons would do their exams next month and needed a supportive environment to prepare themselves well, without the hassle of having to deal with the breakup of their parents. 

That seemed reasonable, but she added something else. She reminded me of when I carried her into our house the day we were married and asked me over the next 30 days I will carry her in the house in the mornings. I then realized that she was completely crazy but I accepted this proposal to not make my coming days even more intolerable. 

I told Jane about the request of my wife and she laughed and found the idea totally absurd. "She thinks that by imposing conditions so it will change something, it better look at the situation and accept the divorce," said Jane in a tone of mockery. 

My wife and I had no physical contact for a long time, so when I carried her the first day in the house it was totally weird. Our son clapped us saying "Daddy is charging the mother in the neck!" His words caused me embarrassment. Room to room, the room to the front door of the house, I must have walked about 10 meters carrying my wife on the lap. She closed her eyes and said softly "Do not tell our son about the divorce" I shook my head even disagreeing and then put her on the floor so we crossed the doorway of the house. She was taking the bus to work and I drove to the office.

The second day was easier for us both. She leaned on my chest, I felt the perfume she wore. I then realized that a long time I had not paid attention to that woman. She certainly had aged past 10 years, there were wrinkles on his face, her hair was getting thin and gray. Our marriage had much impact on it. For a few seconds, I got to thinking about what she had done to be in this state.
On the fourth day, when I woke up I felt a greater intimacy with her body. This woman had dedicated 10 years of her life to me.


On the fifth day, the same thing. I said nothing to Jane, but each day was easier to load her from our room's door. Maybe my muscles are stronger through exercise, I thought. 

One morning she was trying to choose a dress. She experienced a number of them but could not find one that suits. With a sigh, she said "All my dresses are great for me." I then realized that she really was emaciated, hence the ease in carrying it in recent days. 
The reality fell on me with a hint of remorse ... she carries so much pain and sadness in your heart ..... Instinctively, I reached out and touched her hair. 

Our son entered the room at the moment and said "Dad, it's time for you to charge the mother." For him, seeing his father carrying her in his hand every morning has become a routine part of the house. My wife hugged and held our son in her arms for a few long seconds. I had to get away, fearing change his mind now that was so close to my goal. Then I carried in my arms room to room, the room to the front door of the house. Her hand rested on my neck. I held her tight against my body. I remembered our wedding day. 
But your body as lean me sad. On the last day, when I held you in my arms for some reason could not move my legs. Our son had gone to school and I found myself speaking these words: "I did not realize how much we lose our intimacy with the time." 
I could not drive to work .... I went to my new future address, I left the car hurriedly, afraid to change your mind ... I climbed the stairs and knocked on the door. Jane opened the door and I told her "Sorry, Jane. I do not want to get divorced." 

She looked at me in disbelief and touched my forehead "You have a fever?" I took her hand from my forehead and repeat "Sorry, Jane. I will not divorce. My marriage was boring because we did not know to value the small details of our life and not for lack of love. Now I realize that since the day I carried my wife on our wedding day to our house, I should hold her until death do us part. 
Jane then realized I was serious. Gave me a slap in the face, slammed the door in my face and I could hear her crying binge. I went back to the car and went to work. 
In the flower shop on the way back home, I bought a bouquet of roses to my wife. The attendant asked me what I would like to write on the card. I smiled and wrote: "I will carry you in my arms every morning until death do us part." 
That night when I came home with a bouquet of flowers in hand and a big smile on my face, I went straight to our room where I found my wife lying in bed - dead. 
My wife had cancer and had been the case for several months, but I was too busy with Jane to realize that something was wrong with her. She knew she would die soon and wanted to spare our children from the effects of a divorce - and prolong our life together giving our son a picture of us together every morning. At least in the eyes of my son, I am a loving husband.

The small details of our lives are what really count in a relationship. It is not the mansion, car, property, money in the bank. These goods create an environment conducive for happiness but do not provide more than comfort. So find time to be friends with your wife, do little things for one another to keep them close and intimate. Have a royal wedding and be happy!

Many failures in life are people who do not realize they were so close to success and chose to give up ...

No comments:

Post a Comment