Saturday, October 16, 2010

Walking Weekend - Habitat for Humanity Dream Walk & AIDS Walk LA!

Ever since I first heard about the organization that President Jimmy Carter began, I have been a fan.  This past spring, I was part of the Entertainment Industries Council team at the first annual Women's Empowerment (WE) Build, organized by the San Fernando / Santa Clarity Valley (SF/SCV) Chapter of Habitat for Humanity.  Someone put a hammer in my hand and I managed to help build an actual wall of a family's actual new home!  I am proud to be the Chairperson (queen, really) of the 2011 WE Build (May 14-15)!  In the first official appearance of my term (reign, really), I will participate in the SF/SCV American Dream Walk on Saturday, October 16th.  Now I must admit that I have not trained whatsoever for this event, so if you see me out there panting and carrying on, try to contain your laughter until you are out of my line of vision.   

Seriously, the SF/SCV chapter is raising the bar on the already stellar services Habit for Humanity provides.  Unlike most other chapters, they do not require volunteers to also make donations toward builds.  That way, people from all walks of life can feel comfortable participating in the building of  not just homes, but communities. To sponsor me in the Habitat for Humanity American Dream Walk, (even after 10/16/10)  Click Here!


On Sunday, October 17th,  I'll be joining my Century City Delta Sigma Theta Sorority sisters for AIDS Walk LA.   AIDS is still reeking havoc in this country and the world and yet it is still something that people are slow to discuss and therefore slow to prevent.  I am walking to help spread awareness of the need, particularly in the African American community, and in both young and older populations, to be empowered enough to get tested, to get (holistic) treatment if you are infected, and to make safe choices to protect yourself and your partner. Notice how I didn't put an s on that, OK?  And while I'm at it,  please keep in mind that just because he (or she) is the only one you are 'seeing' does not mean you are the only one 'he (or she) is seeing.  OK?  

Now it goes without saying that if I am not in shape for the Saturday walk, by the time Sunday comes along I will simply be in trouble.  So if you see me out there looking for a cheaters trolley, don't talk about me too badly.  Just fan me right quick, hand me some water and try not to take a picture of me crying.  To sponsor me in the AIDS Walk LA, (even after 10/17/10) Click Here!  Oh, and then visit the drugstore and have that talk with you know who that you've been avoiding...

No comments:

Post a Comment