Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A "YES MAN" I'M VERY PROUD OF






My son turned 8 last month but he has more wisdom than I.

He sees the "yes" in everything in this very "no" world.

When I speak to him on the phone (we live on different coasts) I always get the same bubbly answer to my checklist of closed questions:

"Is school going well?"

"Yes!"

"Have you made new friends?"

"Yes!"

"Do you still walk your dog?"

"Yes!"

"And are you still enjoying that book you're reading?"

"Yes!"

"You really have a great life, don't you?"

"Yes!"

I can honestly say that I've never heard my little boy say a bad thing about anyone. Yes, I know he will get older and develop more sophisticated sensibilities that we adults have that allow us to be bitter and negative. I know he will become more worldly. I know he will have phases. I know, I know, I know.

But he is my inspiration. My joy. I look inside myself sometimes and see so much scar tissue. So many hurts. I look at him and see nothing but joy.

I don't care if my son is ever brilliant or rich or "successful." I just want him to be happy and a good person. Period. And he's well on the way. Sure, I'm biased. But I know my son and he unwittingly challenges me to be good, to do right, to worry less, and to love more.

He is my number one hero and I can learn a lot from him.

I guess there's a lesson in there for everyone, but I'll leave it to you to decide.

Best wishes,
Adrian Zupp

No comments:

Post a Comment