Wednesday, August 24, 2011

IT'S ALL RELATIVE





We must stand together and never forget those less fortunate than ourselves.

I've been traveling -- just home late last night -- and I'm exhausted.

U.S. General Patton once said: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Well, I think fatigue, and misfortune, also tend to make one think.

I had a great visit with my son the past few days but terrible -- and expensive -- luck with travel. Let's not call it luck: It was actually fine-print corporate greed on the part of the airline I traveled with. I won't name the airline because they don't deserve worse advertising than the rest: They're all greedy.

There was quite a bit about my travel that was freakishly bad and had me feeling a bit sorry for myself. But it's at times like that when it's hard not to also think of those less fortunate. Even though I'd consider myself a mid-range struggler financially, I'm rich compared to so many people. Even if I have to eat sandwiches and canned spaghetti til my next pay check thanks to Fine Print Airlines, I at least know I can eat.

And being tired. How tired are those who have to work three jobs? Who are low-income single parents? Who are being victimized by an economy ravaged by military spending (half the deficit!) and corporate welfare? Who are fighting battles of personal survival or senseless wars for cold-blooded governments? Who have been out of work for months? Who are starving in a Third World country? I am tired but I have no excuse to not keep fighting: Whether it's writing a letter to the airline to explain that fine print doesn't justify unethical behavior; writing this blog; signing online petitions; agitating and networking; giving a few bucks here and there, and so on. Small stuff compared to the plight of millions of poor souls.

Yes, in war and sports fatigue does make cowards of us all. But in life's fundamental struggles, we must never allow ourselves to be so tired that we give up the fight, on our own behalf or the behalf of those who need our help.

Take care,
Adrian
PS: I still have to write another piece on the Revolution, but next time I want to talk about the book "Standing Up To the Madness" which I just finished and which, at least in part, inspired what I wrote here tonight.
PPS: Thank you so much to the folks who have recently signed up for "House on Fire." I sometimes have trouble getting the email function here to work so I can thank you one-on-one but I am very grateful for your interest.

IF YOU FOUND THIS BLOG POST INTERESTING you might also like to take a look at CHILD HUNGER -- THE SCOURGE OF THE PLANET.

No comments:

Post a Comment