Sunday, August 28, 2011

Living With A Jamaican When Track And Field Is On The Television

How do I usually learn that an international track &  field event is being televised?

When I hear my wife yelling at the television for {fill in the blank Jamaican athlete}to "beat dem backside!"
I then heard my son say "Mommy"  (Must you talk like that?)

I asked her yesterday "How did you know that this event was being broadcast (on some obscure channel in our cable line up)?"

Answer:  All of the Jamaicans are talking about it on Twitter, FaceBook, e-mail.   They all informed each other of the world track and field championships in Korea.

I've learned that Jamaican high schools divide their students into squads and have them compete in intramural track & field events.  From this they pick the top student performers to represent the school against other schools.  This provides the feeder system for the top notch athletes to represent the country in various track & field events around the world.  Their culture IS "Track & Field".

I have to admit that Jamaica is able to successfully mobilize the talents of their people in this way and, pound for pound , out-perform Americans who have access to better facilities.

The #1 goal for most Jamaicans appears to be that one of their country-men beat the American athlete that they are competing against.  If they lose the event to the American solace comes by the acknowledgement that the American athlete has at least one Jamaican parent - if this is the case.

The answer to my question that I had yesterday of "Why Didn't I Hear An Over The Top Display Of National Pride In A Usain Bolt Race That A Jamaican Was Watching On Television After I Moved Away To Get Some Peace?"

ANSWER:  He was disqualified from the race for a false start.

(I have never seen anything like this - folks :-)  )

No comments:

Post a Comment